[ Short Bio ] [ Projects ]
[ Publications ]
Team ] [ Professional Activities ] [ Teaching ]
[ Software Systems]
- Call for Papers for the 19th IEEE International Conference on E-Health, Networking, Application and Services
(HealthCom2017), Dalian, China, Oct. 12-15, 2017.
- Call for papers for the 14th IEEE International
Conference on Ubiquitous Intelligence and Computing (UIC 2017), San Francesco, USA, August 4-8
Liming Chen is Professor of Computer Science and the Head of the
Intelligence and Interaction Research Group (CIIRG) in the School
of Computer Science and Informatics at De
Montfort University, United Kingdom. He received his B.Eng
and M.Eng from Beijing
Institute of Technology (BIT), Beijing, China, and his Ph.D in Artificial
Intelligence from De Montfort University,
UK. He has worked as a senior research fellow at the School of Electronics and Computer Science
(ECS), University of Southampton, and
then a lecturer, a senior lecturer and a reader at the School of Computing and Mathematics, University of Ulster, before he took the
Professorship at De Montfort University.
Liming has extensive research
expertise and a wide range of research interests with special emphasis being
placed on problem solving for real-world applications. His research spans from
curiosity-driven theoretical exploration to practical problem-motivated
technology and system development in the following focal areas.
Artificial intelligence, formal knowledge
representation, agent-based intelligent systems, esp. large-scale distributed
decentralised systems that support autonomy, learning, adaptability,
personalisation and novel interfaces.
Semantic and knowledge technologies,
data/information/knowledge engineering and management, esp. semantic modelling,
representation and reasoning that support data/information interoperability,
reuse, sharing and intelligent information processing at higher level of
Pervasive computing, intelligent
environment, context modelling, representation and reasoning, esp., the
application of the aforementioned AI theories, system design paradigms and
technologies to enable context aware, flexible, scalable intelligent service
- Ambient Assisted Living, Smart Homes, esp.,
semantic enabled data/information sharing and reuse, ontology-based or
logic-based activity recognition and assistance, and the associated technology
infrastructure that facilitate large scale uptake and deployment of the
technology-driven independent living solutions.
a hub of research excellence and innovation on context, intelligence and
interaction, funded by Higher Education Innovation Funding (HEIF), value: £23K,
duration: 09/2015-07/2016, PI
- ACROSSING: Advanced TeChnologies and PlatfoRm fOr Smarter ASsisted LivING, funded by EU H2020, MSCA ITN, value: €3.88M,
duration: 01/2016-12/2019, Project coordinator
--- see the project team here photo1, photo2, photo3, photo4, photo5, photo6, photo7, photo8, photo9
- Developing a technology infrastructure for smart cyber-physical
systems, funded by Research Investment Fund, DMU, value: £14K, duration:
- Mobile Musculoskeletal User Self-management
(MOSKUS), Norwegian Research Council, value: KNOK11.3million, Duration:
04/2013-04/2016, 04/2013 -04/2016, Local PI
- Personal IADL Assistant (PIA), funded by
UK EPSRC through EU AAL Joint Programme, value:
€1.2 million, duration: 03/2013 - 03/2015, principal investigator
- The Fusion knowledge
transfer project, funded by InterTradeIreland,
Ireland, value: 43K, duration: 10/2012 - 04/2015, co-principle investigator
- Dynamic Information
Interlinking and Situation-aware Content Provisioning in Mobile Environments,
funded by the Department of Employment and Learning (DEL), Northern Ireland,
and the industrial partner IN2, value: approx. £80K, duration: 09/2012 -
09/2015, principal investigator.
- Patient-centric model for remote
management, treatment and re-habilitation of autistic
children (MICHELANGELO), funded by EU FP7 ICT, value: €2.8 million,
duration: 10/2011-10/2014, co-principal investigator.
- Situated Guidance for the Mobile Elderly (MobileSage), funded by EU AAL Program, value: €2.6
million, Ref: AAL-2011-3-050, duration: 07/2011-01/2014, principal
- Guidance and Awareness
Services for Independent Living (ROSETAA), funded by EU AAL Program, value:
€2.3 million, Ref: AAL-2008-1-143, duration: 06/2009-05/2012, co-principal
- A Conceptual Model and
an Open Knowledge Base on Energy in Buildings funded by Slovene research
funding agency ARRS, Slovenia, value: ?150K, duration:
08/2011-08/2014, international collaborator.
- UU SERG - uLCUC joint project on ubiquitous Life Care, funded by
Ministry of Knowledge Economy of Korea, value: £6448, duration:
05/2011-04/2015, co-principal investigator.
- Deployment of Sensing
Technology in Connected Health Care, funded by UK NI DEL RCIF, value: £623,000,
duration: 03/2009-03/2011, co-principal investigator.
- Knowledge Management
and Experience Reuse in Collaborative Networked Environment, funded by SAP CEC
Belfast, value: £80K, duration: 10/2007-03/2011, principal investigator.
- Towards Semantic Smart
Homes: the Synergy of the Semantic Web technologies and Smart Homes, Student
placement, funded by the University of Ulster, value: Approx. £12041, duration:
06/2008-04/2009, principal investigator.
Raising Awareness within the local community of the use of the Semantic Web in
Healthcare Technologies for Smart Home, funded by Higher Education Innovation
Fund (HEIF), value: £1500, duration: 03/2008 - 06/2008, principal investigator.
- Embedding Self and Peer
Assessment and Feedback in Practice workshop, funded by Higher Education
Academy, value: £1000, March 2012
- Travel fund from Higher
Education Academy, value: £1100, 2011-2012
- FP6 ICT annual
conference, Northern Ireland InvestNI networking
fund, small grant 2006
Optimisation and Design Search in Engineering (GEODISE), funded by EPSRC
e-Science programme, £2.7M Ref: GR/R67705/01, 10/2001-09/2004, investigator.
- Enabling and Supporting
Provenance in Grids for Complex Problems (PROVENANCE), funded by EU FP6 IST
programme, ?2M, Ref. No.511085, 10/2004-09/2006 , investigator.
Fully funded PHD research projects: (covering both fees and stipend)
- Computational Modelling and Analysis of Human Behaviour for User-centric Smart Systems, De Montfort University, 2017-2020
- Psychological informed usability design for assistive systems for the ageing population, De Montfort University, 2015-2018.
- Complex Activity
Context Recognition within Smart Environments, De Montfort University,
Personalisation and Adaptation in Pervasive Computing for Healthcare,
Department of Employment and Learning (DEL), Northern Ireland (NI), 2013-2016
- Sensor Data Fusion and Semantic
Interpretation for Situation Awareness, DEL NI, 2013-2013
Information based Media Retrieval, 2012-2015, jointly funded by NI DEL and
an industrial partner
Assistive Agents for Instructing and Guiding User Activities, DEL NI,
of Interleaved Activity within Smart Environments, DEL NI, 2012-2015
Personalised Service Provisioning in Mobile Environments, DEL NI, 2011-2014
Modelling and Management for Smart Environments, DEL NI, 2010 - 2013
Interaction Analysis for Enhanced Social Life, DEL NI, 2009-2012
Agent-based Approach to Decision Support in Complex Environments, DEL NI,
of Sensor Data for Monitoring within Intelligent Environments, DEL NI,
- A Task-Based
Approach to Work Experience Reuse, 2008-2011, Sponsored by SAP
- Improving the
Performance of Recommender Algorithms, DEL NI, 2007-2010
- Sensor Distribution
Optimisation in Smart Environments, DEL NI, 2007-2010
Publications (since 2000)
in terms of categories
in terms of year
Google Scholar, DBLP
recent journal papers
- Chen L., Cook D.J., Guo B., Chen L., Leister W., Guest Editorial: Special Issue on Situation, Activity, and Goal Awareness in Cyber-Physical Human–Machine Systems, IEEE Transactions on Human-Machine Systems, vol.47, no.3, pp.305-309, DOI: 10.1109/THMS.2017.2689178, ISSN: 2168-2291, 15 May 2017.
- Triboan D., Chen L., Chen F., Wang Z., Semantic Segmentation of Real-time Sensor Data Stream for Complex Activity Recognition, Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, ISSN: 1617-4909, DOI: 10.1007/s00779-017-1005-5, pp.1-15, 2017.
- Rafferty J., Nugent C., Liu J., Chen L., From Activity Recognition to Intention Recognition for Assisted Living within Smart Homes, IEEE Transactions on Human-Machine Systems, vol.47, no.3, ISSN: 2168-2291, DOI: 10.1109/THMS.2016.2641388, pp.368-379, 2017.
- Chen H., Guo B., Yu Z., Chen L., Ma X., A Generic Framework for Constraint-Driven Data Selection in Mobile Crowd Photographing, IEEE Internet of Things, ISSN: 2327-4662, vol.4, issue.1, 10.1109/JIOT.2017.2648860, pp.284-296, 2017.
- Quinn D., Chen L., Mulvenna M., Bond R., Exploring the Relationship Between Online Social Network Site Usage and the Impact on Quality of Life for Older and Younger Users: An Interaction Analysis, Journal of Medical Internet Research (JMIR), 18(9):e245, 2016, DOI: 10.2196/jmir.5377, PMID: 27687745, https://www.jmir.org/2016/9/e245.
- Guo B., Yu Z., Chen L., and Zhuo Xh, MobiGroup: Enabling Lifecycle Support to Social Activity Organization and Suggestion with Mobile Crowd Sensing, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics: Systems, DOI: 10.1109/THMS.2015.2503290, ISSN: 2168-2291, vol.46, no.3, pp.390-402, June 2016.
- Yu Z., Wang Z., Chen L., Guo B., Featuring, Detecting, and Visualizing Human Sentiment in Chinese Micro-blog, ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data, ISSN:1556-4681 EISSN:1556-472X, doi>10.1145/2821513, vol.10, issue.4, Article No.48, July 2016.
- Azkune G., Almeida A., López-de-Ipiña D., Chen L., Extending knowledge-driven activity models through data-driven learning techniques, Expert Systems with Applications. vol.42. ISSUE.6, pp.3115-3128. DOI: 10.1016/j.eswa.2014.11.063, 2015.
- Rafferty J., Nugent C., Liu J., Chen L., Automatic Metadata Generation through
Analysis Of Narration Within Instructional Videos, Journal of Medical Systems,
39(9): 94:1-94:7, 2015.
- Chen L., Nugent C.D. and
Okeyo G., An Ontology-based
Hybrid Approach to Activity Modeling for Smart Homes,
IEEE Transaction on Human-Machine Systems, vol.44, no.1, pp.92-105, Feb. 2014.
- Okeyo G., Chen L., Wang H., Combining Ontological and Temporal
Formalisms for Composite Activity Modelling and Recognition in Smart Homes,
Future Generation Computer System, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.future.2014.02.014,
vol.39, pp.29-43, 2014.
- Roy N., Rashidi P., Holder L., Chen
L., Editorial: Special issue on data mining in pervasive environments,
Pervasive and Mobile Computing, vol.15, pp.151-152, 2014.
- Castillejo E., Almeida
A., López-de-Ipiña D., Chen L., Modelling Users, Context and Devices for Ambient Assisted
Living Environments, MDPI, Sensors (ISSN 1424-8220), vol.14, pp.5354-5391,
- Skillen K., Chen L., Nugent C.D., Donnelly M., Burns W. and Solheim I., Ontological User Modelling
and Semantic Rule-Based Reasoning for Personalisation of Help-on-Demand
Services in Pervasive Environments, Future Generation Computer Systems,
Elsevier, vol.34, pp.97-109, 2014.
- Okeyo G., Chen L., Wang H. and Sterritt R., Dynamic
Sensor Data Segmentation for Real time Activity Recognition, Pervasive and
Mobile Computing, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pmcj.2012.11.004, vol.10, Part
B, pp.155-172, Feb. 2014.
- Okeyo G., Chen L., Wang H., An
Agent-mediated Ontology-based Approach for Composite Activity Recognition in
Smart Homes, Journal of
Universal Computer Science, vol.19, no.17,
- Ennis A., Chen
L., Nugent C.D., Ioannidis G. and Stan
High Level Geospatial Information Discovery and Fusion for Geocoded Multimedia,
International Journal of Pervasive Computing and Communications, vol.9, issue
4., pp.367-382, 2013. (2014 Highly
Commended Paper Award)
- Chen L., Hoey
J., Nugent C.D., Cook D.J., Yu Z., Sensor-Based Activity Recognition:
a Survey, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics-Part C, doi: 10.1109/TSMCC.2012.2198883, vol.42, no.6, pp.790-808,
- Synnott J., Chen L., Nugent
C., Moore G., WiiPD: Objective Home Assessment of Parkinson's Disease
using the Nintendo Wii Remote, IEEE Transactions on Information Technology
in BioMedicine (TITB), ISSN: 1089-7771, DOI: 10.1109/TITB.2012.2215878, vol.16, no.6,
pp.1304-1312, Nov. 2012.
- Chen L., Nugent CD., Wang H., A
Knowledge-Driven Approach to Activity Recognition in Smart Homes, IEEE
Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, ISSN: 1041-434707, IEEE
Computer Society, vol.24, no.6, pp.961-974, 2012.
This is a vibrant research team of
innovation and creativity, full of inspiration and curiosity, and driven by
professional commitment and dedication.
Get a glimpse of some of these
researchers here, photo1, photo2.
Current researchers and visitors
- Dr Ying Du, ACROSSING Project Manager and Research Fellow
- Sarah Fallmann, Early Stage Researcher, funded by ACROSSING Project
- Ismini Psychoula, Early Stage Researcher, funded by ACROSSING Project
- Dr Min Zhong, Visiting Scholar from China University of Petroleum
- Pengfei HU, Visiting scholar from University of Science and Technology Beijing
Current PhD students
- Vafeiadis, Anastasios, Automatic monitoring and detection of activities of daily living (ADLs) within Home Environments, 2017-2020
- Van Veen, Rick, Monitoring and detection of early risks of mental health from learned activity profiles, 2017-2020
- Eduardo M. Da Silva Machado, Semantic-based usage mining enabled personalisation and adaptation technologies for SH based AAL, 2017-2020
- Jugraj Singh, Multi-Agent Software System For Supporting Model Based System Engineering, 2016-2019
- Khawla Hassan, A Dynamic and Adaptive Learning Object Design: Toward Developing an efficient interactive e-Content, De Montfort University, 2016-2019
- Adebamigbe Alex Fasanmade, Adaptive security mechanism in vehicular ad hoc network (VANET), 2016-2019
- Ruijie Wang, Psychological informed usability design for assistive systems for the ageing population, De Montfort University, 2015-2018
- Darpan Triboan, Complex Activity Context Recognition within Smart Environments, De Montfort University, 2015-2018
- Ruejie Wang, Psychological informed
usability design for assistive systems for the ageing population, 2015-2018
- Darpan Triboan, Complex Activity Context Recognition within Smart Environments,
- Andrew Ennis, Geospatial Information based Media
Retrieval, with Ulster
Previous PhD students
- Joseph Rafferty,
Goal-driven Assistive Agents for Instructing and Guiding User Activities, 2017
Dhafer Ali Alhalafi, Privacy and Confidentiality in
Distributed Computing, 2016
- Kerry-Louise Skillen, Situation-aware Personalised Service Provisioning in Mobile
- Gorka Azkune Galparsoro, Towards Dynamic and
Personalised Knowledge-driven Activity Models, with University of Deusto, Spain, 2015
- Al-Shumari Mansour,
Online English Vocabulary
Learning on Different Systems for Non-English Speakers, 2016
- Tareq Binjammaz, Context-aware GPS Integrity Monitoring for Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS), 2015
- Ahmed Alfakeeh Alghamdi, Feature Interaction Detection and Resolution in Smart Home Systems, using agent-based negotiation approach, 2015
- Saleh A.S. Alumaran, Culture Dimensions of Information Systems Security in Saudi
Arabia National Health Services, 2015
Interaction Analysis for Enhanced Social Life, 2013 [photo1, photo2]
Okeyo, An Agent-based Approach to Decision
Support in Complex Environments, 2013 [photo1, photo2]
Synnott, Visualisation of Sensor Data for
Monitoring within Intelligent Environments, 2013 [photo1, photo2]
Du, A Task-Based Approach to Work
Experience Reuse, 2011
Redpath, Improving the Performance of
Recommender Algorithms, 2010
Poland, Sensor Distribution Optimisation in
Smart Environments, 2010
- Thomas Blondelle, École Centrale de Lyon, France, EU ERASMUS Internship programme, 05/2017-08/2017
- Simon Forest, École Centrale de Lyon, France, EU ERASMUS Internship programme, 05/2016-08/2016
- Thibault Chataigner, École Centrale de Lyon, France, EU ERASMUS Internship programme, 05/2015-08/2015
- Amaury Depierre, École Centrale de Lyon, France, EU ERASMUS Internship programme, 05/2015-08/2015
MSc students (incomplete)
- Ying Du (2007,
Distinction, with SAP)
- Veer Bhadra Pratap Singh (2007, in
- Craig Roberts (2008,
with a local company)
- Connor Scullion (2008,
Distinction, with InvestNI)
- Ahmad Al-Bashrawi
(2009, Distinction, in Saudi Arabia)
- Ryan Goldblatt (2010, Distinction, with IBM)
- Joseph Rafferty (2011, Distinction,
- Ryan Pearson (2013,
Distinction, PhD candidate)
- Susan Quinn (2013,
Distinction, PhD candidate)
Advice and useful resources for students and
- Executive Steering Committee Member: International Organization for Information Integration and Web-based Applications & Services (2009 -)
- IEEE member, 2012 –
- Member, IEEE Systems, Man, Cybernetics Society
- Member, IEEE Computational Intelligence Society, 2016 -
- Member, Emergent Technologies Technical Committee (ETTC) Task Force on Smart World
- Member, euRobotics SITo-SA Topic Group, EU Robotics, 2016 -
- EU Horizon2020 expert (evaluator and rapporteur)
- Member, UK EPSRC peer review college
- Expert reviewer for ZonMw (The Netherlands Organisation for Health Research and Development), NWO (The Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research), Netherlands
Senior Visiting and Advisory Roles
- IntelliSys2017 Advisory Committee, 2017
- Guest Professor, Dalian University, China, 2015 -
- External expert, Diakonhjemmet Sykehus AS, Norway, 2013-2016
- Visiting Professor, Ecole Centrale de Lyon, France, 2013-2014.
- European expert on ICT for the EU-China Information Society project, EuropeAid/120168/C/SV/CN, €15 million, 2005-2009.
- Assistant Editors-in-Chief, International Journal of Pervasive Computing and Communications (Emerald), ISSN: 2287-4844, 2013 -
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transaction on Human-Machine Systems (THMS), 2015 –
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Advanced Research in Artificial Intelligence (IJARAI), 2012-.
- Editorial Board, the International Journal On Advances in Intelligent Systems, IARIA, 2012-2015
- Guest Editor: Personal and Ubiquitous Computing Journal, Springer, special issue on Ubiquitous Intelligence and Computing for Enabling a Smarter World, 2016
- Guest Editor: IEEE Transaction on Human Machine Systems (IEEE), Special Issue on Situation, Activity and Goal Awareness in Cyber-physical Human-Machine Systems, 2016.
- Guest Editor: International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks (Hindawi), Special Issue on Linked Data and Internet of Things to enable Smarter Cities, 2015.
- Guest Editor: Pervasive and Mobile Computing (Elsevier), Special Issue on Data Mining in Pervasive Environments, 2014.
- Guest Editor: Intelligent Systems for Science and Information, Book Series on Studies in Computational Intelligence (Springer), 2014. (Editors: Liming Chen, Supriya. Kapoor and Rahul Bhatia).
- Guest Editor: International Journal of Pervasive Computing and Communications (Emerald), Special Issue on Situation, Activity and Goal Awareness, 2012.
- Guest Editor: Pervasive and Mobile Computing (Elsevier), Special Issue on Knowledge-Driven Activity Recognition in Intelligent Environments, 2010.
- Guest Editor: Atlantis Ambient and Pervasive Intelligence (Springer), Book Series on Activity Recognition in Pervasive Intelligent Environments, 2010.
- Program Chair, the 19th IEEE International Conference on E-health Networking, Application & Services, 12-15 October 2017, Dalian, China
- General Chair, the 14th IEEE International Conference on Ubiquitous Intelligence and Computing (UIC 2017), August 4-8, 2017, San Francisco, USA.
- General Chair, SAI Computing Conference 2017, July 18-20, 2017, London, United Kingdom
- Co-organising Chairs, EU-China Innovation Forum on Active and Healthy Ageing, July 1-2, 2017 Nanjing, China
- General Co-Chair, Future Technology Conference FTC2016, 6-7 Dec. 2016, San Francisco, USA
- General co-Chair, the 13th IEEE International Conference on Ubiquitous Intelligence and Computing (UIC 2016), July 18-22, 2016, Toulouse, France.
- General Chair, SAI Intelligent Systems (IntelliSys2016), September 20-22, 2016, London, UK.
- Workshop Co-chairs, the International Workshop on Robotics and Smart City (Romart-City 2016), in conjunction with Smart World Congress 2016 and UIC2016 in France, July 2016.
- Workshop Co-chairs, The International Workshop on Robotics and SMART-CITY (ROMART-CITY 2016) in conjunction with European Robotics Forum 2016 (ERF2016), 21-23 March 2016, Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- Program Chair, the 13th International Conference on Advances in Mobile Computing and Multimedia (MoMM2015), Dec. 11-13, 2015, Brussels, Belgium.
- General Chair, Science and Information Conference 2015, July 28-30, 2015, London, UK.
- Conference Workshop Chairs, The 12th IEEE International Conference on Ubiquitous Intelligence and Computing (UIC 2015), August 10-14, 2015, Beijing China.
- Workshop Co-chairs, SAGAware2015: The 3rd International Workshop on Situation, Activity and Goal Awareness in conjunction with UIC2015, August 10-14, 2015, Beijing China.
- Program Co-Chair, the 6th International Work-conference on Ambient Assisted Living (IWAAL 2014), 2-5 December 2014, Belfast, UK.
- Program Co-Chair, the 12th International Conference on Advances in Mobile Computing and Multimedia (MoMM2014), Nov. 24-26, 2014, Kaohsiung, Taiwan.
- Session Chair, the International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics (ICMLC2014), July 13-16, 2014, Lanzhou, China
- General Vice Chair, Science and Information Conference 2013, October 7-9, 2013, London, UK.
- Program Co-Chair, the 7th International Conference on Ubiquitous Computing and Ambient Intelligence(UCAMI2013), Dec. 2013, Costa Rico.
- Program Co-Chair, the 11th International Conference on Advances in Mobile Computing and Multimedia (MoMM2013), Dec. 2-4, 2013, Vienna, Austria.
- Chair: HEA Workshop on Embedding Self and Peer Assessment and Feedback in Practice - A Principles-Based and Technology-Enabled Approach, May 2013.
- Program Vice Chair, the 11th IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Embedded and Ubiquitous Computing (EUC2013), Nov. 13-15, 2013, Zhangjiajie, China.
- Co-Organiser, CODATA International Workshop on Motion and Vital Data Acquisition, Storage and Trends, Predictive Analysis FOR Ageing Population, organized by CODATA Israel, Feb. 2013.
- Co-Chair: International Workshop on Situation, Activity, Goal Awareness (SAGAware2012) in conjunction with the ACM UbiComp2012, 2012.
- Chair: HEA Workshop on Embedding Self and Peer Assessment and Feedback in Practice - A Principles-Based and Technology-Enabled Approach, March 2012.
- Chair: International Workshop on Situation, Activity, Goal Awareness (SAGAware2011) in conjunction with the ACM UbiComp2011, 2011.
- Co-Chair: Workshop on Web Personalization and Recommender Systems, in conjunction with the 2010 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Joint Conference on Web Intelligence and Intelligent Agent Technology (WI-IAT‘10), 2010.
- Chair: International Workshop on Emergent Semantics and Ontology Evolution in connection with the 6th International and the 2nd Asian Semantic Web Conference, 2007.
- Keynote: ACROSSING: A Smart Home Perspective toward Socially Robotics and Smart Cities, in the International Workshop on "Socially Intelligent Robots and Smart Cities" in European Robotics Fotum, Ljubljana, Slovenia, March 2016.
- Keynote: Designing Smart Homes for Active and Healthy Ageing, the 2015 UK-China Forum on the Design and Creative Industry in Big Data Era, Beijing, China, 06 November, 2015 (see the video here)
- Keynote: ICT and Healthcare: the State of the Art Technologies, in the Third International Week of Technological Innovation (iWeek), May 2012, University of Europe Madrid, Spain.
- Keynote: Research, Projects and Vision: The Open Health Challenge, in the “Open + Health Conference” in conjunction with the BCS Health Northern Ireland Official Launch event, January 2010, Belfast, Northern Ireland.
- Lecture: An Ontology-Based Framework for Activity Modelling, Recognition and Learning in Smart Homes, iCareNet Winter School, March 2012, Davos-Klosters, Switzerland.
- Tutorial: An introduction to ontology-based activity recognition, in the joint conferences of the 11th International Conference on Information Integration and Web-based Applications & Services (iiWAS2009), and the 7th International Conference on Mobile Computing and Multimedia (MoMM2009), 2009, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Public talk: Technology-Facilitated Assisted Living: Concepts, Rationale, Technologies and Exemplars, Glenfield Hospital, Leicestershire Partnership NHS, Leicester UK, June 2015
- Public talk: Making Ageing Easier: Does Technology Have the Answer?, The Festival of Ideas, De Montfort University, March 2015.
- Seminar talk: School of Creative Technologies, Portsmouth University, Nov. 2016
- Seminar talk: School of Computer and Communication Engineering, University of Science and Technologies Beijing, China, June 2016
- Seminar talk: School of Computer Science and Technology, Shandong University, China, June 2016
- Seminar talk: College of Computer and Communication Engineering, China University of Petroleum, China, June 2016
- Seminar talk: Delft University, Netherlands, June 2016
- Seminar talk: Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Ljubljana University, Slovenia, April 2016
- Seminar talk: Science and Technology Division, Dalian University, China, August, 2015.
- Seminar talk: Toshiba's Telecommunications Research Laboratory, Toshiba Europe, UK, April 2015.
- Seminar talk: Norwegian Computing Centre (NR), Norway, Feb. 2015.
- Seminar talk: Ecole Centrale de Lyon, University of Lyon, France, June 2014.
- Seminar talk: Deusto Institute of Technology, University of Deusto, Spain, October 2013.
- Seminar talk: Department of Informatics, King's College London, London, Jan. 2011,
- Seminar talk: School of Computing and Mathematics, Ulster University, April 2006.
Program Committee Membership (not up-to-date)
Web Intelligence (WI2005/2006/2007/2008/2009/2010/2011/2012); Smart Homes and
Health Telematics (ICOST2009/2010/2011/2012); Ubiquitous Intelligence and
Computing (UIC2010); AAAI 2012 fall symposium on AI for Gerontechnology,
The First International Conference on Smart Systems, Devices and Technologies
(SMART 2012), The Joint International Semantic Technology Conference (JIST
2011), International Conference on Multimedia Computing and Systems
(ICMCS2012), International Conference on Multimedia and Ubiquitous Engineering
(MUE2012), International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Systems:
Computing, Networking and Services (MobiQuitous2011), ICPCA2011, Ambient
Assisted Living (IWAAL2010/2011/2012); Ubiquitous Computing and Ambient
Intelligence (UCAmI2010/2011/2012); High Performance Computing and
Communications (HPCC 2010); Semantics, Knowledge and Grids
(SKG2005/2006/2007/2008/2009/2010); Web Intelligence e-Health 2009/2010; Mobile
- BSc, Year 4,
Interactive Web Computing module, Computer Science and Software Engineering
courses, from 2013 -
- BSc, Year 4, Advanced
Interactive Programming module, Interactive
Multimedia Design course, from 2006 to2013
- MSc, Advanced Web
Technologies module, MSc in
Computing (with specialisms in Web Technologies) , from 2008 onwards
- BSc, Year 1, Small
Group Tutorial (SAG), Interactive
Multimedia Design course, since 2010
- BSc, Year 2,
Interactive Programming module, Interactive
Multimedia Design course, during 2008
final-year projects and MSc postgraduate dissertation
- Studies advice for ICT
- CHEP Fellow for
pedagogy study and research, in particular, on research-led/informed teaching
and learning, peer assessment
- BSc IMD course
- BSc Computer Science
and Software Engineering course
- MSc WIS course
- Computing and
Engineering Faculty ethics filter committee
- Computing and
Engineering Faculty Board
- Faculty student
recruitment & marketing representative in Team China of the University
We have developed an Ontology-based
Knowledge-driven Intelligent System for Cognitive Assistive Living, dubbed SMART,
which can collect sensor data through wireless communication in smart
environments, perform real-time activity recognition via semantic inference and
provide just-in-time assistance. The system is implemented using semantic
technologies, including semantic modelling, representation and reasoning for
context, activities, assistance provisioning.
The system prototype and
manuals about system installation and usage can be downloaded.
for Ph.D. Students
Highly motivated, passionate students interested in PhD study in
relevant research areas are always welcome to contact me to discuss your
ambition and aspiration. The following is a number of PhD research projects for your
This is a number of MSc
research projects which can help establish solid technical background for a
number of cutting-edge technologies.
Last Updated: 01 September 2014